Get a Library Card
Your library card is your key to access materials, digital media, public computers, and so much more!
The possibilities are limitless - get your card today!
The following individuals are eligible to receive a library card:
- Any resident of the City of Newport News
- Any verifiable resident of the State of Virginia
- Any out-of-state resident with a verifiable local address
- There is no minimum age for a child to receive a library card.
There are two types of library memberships: E-Memberships and Standard Memberships. For either type of membership, begin by registering through our Online Catalog site.
With E-Memberships, you can have immediate access to e-books, e-audiobooks, and other digital resources without ever setting foot inside one of our branches. After registering, you will not receive a physical library card, but rather use a user name that you create and a PIN which will be emailed to you (an email address is required). That is all you need to do to have access to our digital resources. Click here to register for an E-Membership.
If you decide to upgrade to an All Access Membership, which allows you to access all our digital resources, plus check out physical materials, use our public computers and borrow materials through interlibrary loan, start by registering here for an All Access Membership, and then visit one of our branches and bring an acceptable form of ID.
Acceptable Forms of ID
The following sources are acceptable for proof of name and address:
- Driver's license – Primary source
- State ID card
- Automobile registration
- IDENT-A-KID card
- Newport News Redevelopment and Housing Authority picture ID’s
Upon registering, you will be asked to agree to the following Borrower's Agreement:
- To be responsible for all materials borrowed with my card.
- To pay all the fines and fees associated with my card.
- To report changes in my account information.
- To report the loss, theft, or abuse of my card immediately.
- That if I am a parent or guardian registering a minor (17 years old or younger), I acknowledge that the minor is applying for a library card which enables him/her to borrow and access materials, including electronic resources such as computers with Internet access, provided by the Newport News Public Library.
- That I am responsible for all fines and fees and any items checked out on my card prior to being reported lost or stolen.