Get a Free Library Membership
Your FREE library membership is your key to accessing online resources, borrowing physical materials, using public-access computers and printers, and so much more!
Register today for a FREE library membership!
The following individuals are eligible for a FREE Newport News Public Library membership:
- Any resident of the City of Newport News
- Any verifiable resident of the State of Virginia
- Any out-of-state resident with a verifiable local address
Explore the different types of library memberships:
With E-Membership, you can have immediate access to e-books, e-audiobooks, and other digital resources without ever setting foot inside one of our branches. After registering, you will not receive a physical library card, but rather a membership number and PIN which will be emailed to you (an email address is required). That is all you need to do to have access to most of our digital resources*. Visit the Online Borrower Registration page to register for an E-Membership.
*Please note that access to Data Axle Reference Solutions, ProQuest Global Newstream and Historical Newspapers: US Southeast Collection, LinkedIn Learning, and Ancestry.com Library Edition require an All-Access Membership.
All Access Membership
All Access Membership have full library privileges, which allows you to access all our digital resources, plus check out physical materials, use our public computers and borrow materials through interlibrary loan. Visit the Online Borrower Registration page to register for an All Access Membership, and then visit the service desk of any branch with an acceptable form of identification (ID).
Newport News Public School Student Membership
The Newport News Public Library (NNPL) and Newport News Public Schools (NNPS) are pleased to announce that beginning Monday, November 16, 2020, all NNPS students will receive a free NNPL student library membership.
There is no need to apply online, just visit any branch and provide your identification. Visit the Student Card page for more information and frequently asked questions.
Acceptable Forms of Identification for All Access Memberships
The following sources are acceptable for proof of name and address:
- Driver's License
- State Issued ID card
- Automobile Registration
- IDENT-A-KID card
- Newport News Redevelopment and Housing Authority picture ID’s
Upon registering, you will be asked to agree to the following Borrower's Agreement:
- To be responsible for all materials borrowed with my card
- To pay any fees associated with my card
- To report changes in my account information
- To report the loss, theft, or abuse of my card immediately
- That if I am a parent or guardian registering a minor (17 years old or younger), I acknowledge that the minor is applying for a library card which enables him/her to borrow and access materials, including electronic resources such as computers with Internet access, provided by the Newport News Public Library.
- That I am responsible for any fees and any items checked out on my card prior to being reported lost or stolen.