At the beginning of the New Year, Newport News Public Library (NNPL) expanded its notary public services because of an increasing need in our community. In addition to the Law library, NNPL now offers free notary services at Grissom, Main, and Pearl Bailey Libraries.
The Law Library notary hours are 8:30-11:30 a.m. and 1:30-4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. Please call 757-926-8678 ahead of time to schedule an appointment.
For notary services offered at our other branch locations, please call the branch for availability.
- Grissom Library, 366 Deshazor Drive, Newport News, VA – 757-369-3190
- Main Street Library, 110 Main Street, Newport News, VA – 757-591-4858
- Pearl Bailey Library, 2510 Wickham Avenue, Newport News, VA – 757-247-8677
The notary’s primary function is to be certain the person requesting the service is who that person claims to be. Appropriate identification is required and ascertained by examining one or more of nine unexpired documents:
- United States Passport
- United States Passport Card
- Certificate of United States Citizenship
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Foreign Passport
- Alien Registration Card with Photograph
- State Issued Driver’s License
- State Issued Identification Card
- United States Military Card
People who use notary services must be present and sign the document in the notary’s presence. In necessary cases, a child’s signature may be notarized. The required proof of identity of a child is the same as an adult.
The NNPL notary will take acknowledgements, jurats, administer oaths and affirmations. The Library notary will not notarize wills, I-9 forms, take depositions, or oral testimony. There is a limit to three notarized documents per visit.